Do not call them “guards”: security guards are respected professionals today, and no body in the profession uses this term, which in fact turns out to be very simplistic to describe their duties. The number of security or surveillance officers has just recently exceeded that of other professionals with whom they are often compared: police officers. But more than opposing these two professions, they now need to combine them, the work of some being complementary to that of others. Through the uninterrupted professionalization of their profession, the diversification of their missions, the ever more demanding requirements of their employers and their clients, they now represent effective partners capable of best serving companies and of positively conveying their image.
What are the missions of a Event Security Orange County officer today? What are the professional obligations that he must respect and the qualities that he must demonstrate? According to what criteria do you choose the agent (s) best suited to your needs, and at what price?
The role of a security guard and his area of intervention
Contrary to what many professionals might imagine, the fundamental role of a security guard is not so much to intervene in the event of an incident but to ensure the prevention of a number of risks concerning the safety of their employees. clients. From this fundamental role derive several types of possible missions and areas of intervention.
Role of a security guard
The role of an agent is above all one of prevention. Through its surveillance, it deters and effectively prevents attacks on property and people, as well as on information and data in the area it is monitoring. In emergency cases and only in emergency cases, he may have to intervene directly to enforce safety rules, within the limits of his powers. But his role in the event of an incident is above all to contact the appropriate specialist services.
The prevention role can be directed to the dangers represented by malicious people or to events that may affect the safety of property and people. An example of this second case is fire, which is quite specific since monitoring is entrusted to specialized agents: the agent of the Fire Safety and Personal Assistance Services or SSIAP agent. The presence of this type of agent is mandatory in establishments open to the public at a rate of more than 3,000 people per day, or apartment buildings over 50 meters (28 meters for any other type of building). The role of SSIAP agents is then to monitor the effectiveness of all fire-fighting devices, from alarms to evacuation routes, including fire extinguishers and fire-fighters, to alert the emergency services and to evacuate the public.
These roles mirror those of any surveillance and security officer, who should:
- Prevent incidents by carrying out surveillance rounds and controlling alarm systems,
- Notify the police or the gendarmerie in the event of a problem,
- And participate in the site’s safeguard actions while awaiting their arrival.
Areas of intervention
Based on this simple principle, the areas of intervention of agents are very varied.
They can be grouped together in terms of functional areas of intervention, and in terms of situations.
The functional areas of intervention are themselves numerous:
- For security and surveillance missions strictly speaking, it is a question of enforcing security processes, carrying out surveillance rounds, controlling alarm and security devices, and discouraging behavior identified as dangerous , and if need be to expel people adopting these behaviors;
- For access control missions, check entry and exit in accordance with company policies, remotely or on site, by controlling the use of barriers;
- For customer service assignments, register visitors and guide them;
- For emergency missions, provide first aid and first aid, such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation, if necessary with a defibrillator.
This list is obviously not exhaustive.
In fact, the list of interventions must be adapted to the context, that is to say to the field of intervention in terms of the situation or the work environment.
The missions will therefore be different in their detail:
- For night security guards,
- For security guards for events,
- For mobile security guards,
- For shopping center security guards,
- For security officers