On March 4th, Google took an important step in the race to become the # 1 platform in online advertising. The campaign managers are now able to use Google Shopping Gmail and YouTube . In this way, future campaigns could impact the millions of users of these two important platforms.
One of the most important benefits will be the increase in conversions and the new possibilities that remarketing will bring. But to take advantage of these new features, it is essential to be familiar with the functions and possibilities of Google Shopping.
Goals and requirements
The new phase of Google Shopping will enable campaigns that promote products on Google, its search network, display, Gmail and Youtube. In turn, it will facilitate the optimization of ads and offers. As users search, algorithms make predictions about their interests. Therefore, Google selects the most relevant sites and establishes offers to provide more value to each user.
Now, the most important thing won’t be finding as many conversions as it was trending like explainer animation video agency. The focus is on maximizing the value of conversions , although you may be working towards a specific ROAS.
In order to exploit the future potential of Google shopping on Gmail and Youtube, the following requirements must be met:
- Link the Google Ads account to the Merchant Center account . You also need to select the country in which you want to market, a budget and a feed with all the updated products.
- Have positive baggage in paid campaigns. It is a fundamental requirement to run a standard Shopping campaign with at least 20 conversions in the last 45 days.
- Knowledge and skill. First, the global tag must be configured correctly on the website. Additionally, you must have a list that contains at least 100 remarketing users. It must be kept active and updated regularly. Likewise, conversion tracking must have the value of each transaction configured for optimization.
- Respect the regulations in force. All campaigns must comply with the advertising policies and requirements set by Google Shopping.
How to enable Google Shopping Ads
From now on, you can include YouTube, Gmail and Discover from the networks section in the campaign settings. Selecting Search Network will open all Google Shopping ad campaigns. The metrics are grouped by Google, meaning the campaign data will appear across the Display Network. This means that you won’t be able to know exactly the performance of each of the YouTube and Gmail channels.
Being an initial phase, there are still aspects to be clarified that raise some doubts for advertisers. Advertisers can’t yet clearly target ads to just one feed. This happens because campaigns are automatically published on all Google properties. Despite this, the visibility limits have disappeared and the control of the campaign has increased.
To find out if you can work with Google Shopping on Gmail and YouTube, you can follow the steps below:
- Log into your Google Ads profile.
- Click on the campaign tab.
- Select the standard commercial campaign.
- Click on the Settings tab.
- In the networks section, check if the “YouTube, Gmail and Discover” box is checked. If so, your campaign is enabled for publishing.
How to use Google shopping in Gmail and Youtube
Since Google Shopping took its first steps as Froogle in 2002, its functions have not stopped evolving. Previously, advertisers could only view their products on the search network, but now Gmail and YouTube have also entered the game. In addition, the tool can be used in various ways:
Explore new options
When you set up basic Shopping campaigns in Google Ads, you have the option to set targeting. You can choose which network to show your ads on. The default is Search Network, but you can also choose the Search Partner option.
Search partners extend reach beyond Google. In your case even on platforms like Youtube and Gmail. Now your ads will show based on searches and videos played, for example. It is possible to contextually match a product to what the user is viewing.
By default, all Shopping campaigns will have the partner search option enabled. If you have disabled it in your campaigns, it is advisable to enable it, at least for testing purposes. This will allow you to broaden your reach and gain more control over running a Smart Shopping campaign.
Video is increasingly important
This format is an option that you cannot ignore for your future Google shopping campaigns on Gmail and Youtube. Its versatility allows you to create campaigns to expand your reach or create an engaging brand experience.
YouTube offers advertisers a way to raise awareness and increase impact with more compelling ad formats . If you really want to keep your product in the minds of customers, bet on this platform for your Google Shopping campaigns.
TrueView for Shopping starts as a TrueView in-stream ad that plays before the video a user wants to see. As the user watches the video ad, a purchase card is displayed that can display various products. Even if you skip the video, the products will still appear next to the video the consumer initially wants to watch.
To run TrueView for Shopping campaigns you need to select Target and then the Shopping campaign subtype. Of course, it is not possible to create, edit or copy / paste in Google Ads Editor. All your campaigns must be created manually. On the other hand, there are three ways to select feed products for campaigns:
- All products in the feed . Ideal for remarketing or when the feed is organized by very specific categories.
- Manual selection. Advertisers can choose 10 products, although only 6 will be shown. You can add out of stock products, but they will not show until they are available again in the Merchant Center feed.
- Use custom filters. These are the labels you previously set up in your product feed for campaigns. Only one filter can be used, so configure it carefully before applying it.
Smart Shopping campaigns are a good way to test ads across different channels. This option allows your purchase ads to also appear on the search network, Gmail and YouTube.
They are quick and easy to set up campaigns to use Google shopping on Gmail and Youtube. After selecting your feed and country of origin, the next step is to set up a budget and bid strategy. The bidding strategy serves to maximize conversion value, but has the potential to overlap a target ROAS.
Once the ad group is created, you will see the ad option you have available. You can add an image, two titles, a description and the final URL. The logo you have on your Merchant Center account will be the logo that will appear in the ad. Unfortunately, there is no preview option for YouTube ads.
Tips before starting
Before starting to work with Google Shopping on Gmail and Youtube, you need to keep in mind the following principles:
- Complete list of products. Google Shopping recommends that all businesses use all potentially profitable items and with similar audiences.
- Set a budget. Essential action to evaluate the performance of each campaign. Knowing how much you have will mark your steps, whether you increase your bids or remove an ad that isn’t working.
- Don’t overlook the ROAS. The goal is to maximize conversions with the budget set, but it can also be evaluated by the ROAS. It is interesting to establish this with the previous data so that it is an achievable figure.
- Quality texts and images. Each product will have a detailed and well written description. The images will be optimized and, if possible, original. Ideally, both elements should have the ability to grab the user’s attention. Google Shopping will combine images and text on different platforms to find the best performing result.
- Detailed analysis. Google is responsible for collecting all Analytics data and website tags. We recommend that you set custom parameters to collect more accurate information from Google’s shopping campaigns on Gmail and YouTube. All these data will serve to see positive and negative aspects for future work.
In short, you should start thinking about your strategies again if you want to introduce Google shopping to Gmail and Youtube.