Drupal and WordPress are the most typical content management systems. They are open-source and free to use. WordPress is the most commonly used system these days as it is suitable for beginners and professionals. On the other hand, Drupal is another robust CMS but is quite stiff for beginners. WordPress is cheaper and easier to use than Drupal.
You might have built the website using Drupal, and it might have served you well. Due to a gamut of themes and plugins offered by the WordPress ecosystem, people migrate or convert their websites from Drupal to WordPress. The WordPress website provides a great experience to visitors. Moreover, people feel more comfortable using WordPress than Drupal.
Migrating a website from one content management system to the other is not actually an easy task. However, WordPress’s convenient plugins have made it more comfortable for users to migrate the website from any other CMS to WordPress.
1. Web Hosting
As your website is built on Drupal, it is sure that you possess a hosting account. However, it would be an excellent step to switch your web host that offers a dedicated WordPress hosting. You must ensure that your web host provides top-notch service. A cheap quality web hosting company may degrade your website’s performance.
2. Setting up a Temporary Domain
Once you select the high-quality web hosting company, you are now ready to put up a temporary domain. This domain will act as a platform where you can install WordPress and transfer all your content from Drupal to it. If you are not aware of setting a temporary domain, you can ask for help from your hosting company to set up a temporary domain. However, you can also search it on Google with “set up a temporary domain” and your “hostname”.
3. List Down Current URLs
If you wish to make URLs SEO-friendly, you can do it at this stage. Keeping short and descriptive URLs appeal to visitors. Moreover, they should represent what the post contains. You can create a list of all URLs from the website present on Drupal to update permalinks in WordPress. Instead of listing down URLs, you can use tools to create a list of all URLs present on the given site.
4. Installing WordPress
You have created a temporary domain and listed down all URLs of the Drupal’s website. Now, you are all set to install WordPress on the temporary domain. Once you migrate all content to WordPress, you can move your site to a permanent domain from a temporary domain.
3 Steps To Migrate Your Website To WordPress
1. Install FG Drupal To WordPress Plugin
After installing and setting up WordPress, you have to go to the WordPress dashboard, select Plugins, click on Add New and search for the “FG Drupal To WordPress” plugin. Once you find it, hit Install Now and after installing, click on Activate. Moving content to WordPress using this plugin is extremely straightforward.
2. Get the Details of Drupal Database
Once you install and activate the required plugin, you need to retrieve all parameters of the Drupal database. These parameters include – a hostname, username, database name, Drupal Table Prefix, and password. All data from the Drupal database needs to be imported into your site on WordPress. Follow the below steps to retrieve Drupal database parameters:
● Download and install the desired FTP client.
● In the Drupal site’s default directory, select setting.php file and open it.
● You will observe all database parameters. Copy them and paste and save them into a text file.
3. Import Drupal Content to WordPress
● Go to the WordPress dashboard, hit the Tools option, and select Import, present on the left sidebar.
● There you need to search for Drupal and hit the Run Importer button.
● A page for setting all options for data migration appears. On that page, you will notice “Empty WordPress Content”. Clicking on it will delete all pages, attachments, menus, tags, categories, comments, taxonomies, and categories created. Therefore, make sure to backup all content of WordPress.
● Enter your website’s live URL in the Drupal website parameter section. Doing this will fetch all media items from the current site.
● In the Drupal database parameters enter all fields, such as hostname, username, password, database name, and Drupal Table Prefix. Click on Test the database connection button.
● You must specify the desired items that you wish to import along with Drupal posts and pages in the behavior section. Later, select the ‘to the content’ option under the Import Summary label.
● Under the Media label, you can select the options as per your requirements. One all done, you can hit the Start/Resume Import button.
● After conversion, you get a success message.
If you wish to have your WordPress website and offer a better experience to visitors, HireWPGeeks will help you develop a robust WordPress website. It is relatively more comfortable to convert site to WordPress, due to its plugins.